Sunday, November 26, 2017

Bali's Mount Agung Erupts Again - Some Questionable airlines cancelled flights

Last night as my family and I were having a sunset dinner at one of our favorite beachside restaurants the Komune we felt a small brief  shake at just after five PM. We discounted it as some surfers moving  tables or chairs around.



Fmily at Komune Beach Club Last Night

Later the manager Gede advised us that Mount Agung had a small eruption just after 5 pm which of course caused some concern.
As it was dusk we could not see it and continued our dinner.

Later we went home and had a good sleep at Bali Paradise Beach Estates



I woke up early to check the status of Agung which greets us every morning like a postcard from my balcony.



Could not see it well because of cloud cover .  

So I grabbed the Nikon started walking up the beach, north east of our Bali Paradise Beach Estates and found that the day was like any other.







Local fishermen were fishing off the beach and in their local canoes called Junkungs.,


Mr. bull was doing what he always does dreaming about getting to the cows



And although there was not a clear view of Agung my Nikon was able to disseminate that the volcano is still going off. 

Similar to last night it appears that it may be going 1,000 1,500 mtr. into the air.

Then the trade winds would send it South East over the Badung straits to Lembongan and perhaps as far as Lombok our neighbor Islands . 





UPDATE-2017-26-8:30 Am

Here is a video taken by an amateur. I believe it was shot from the other  from Lovina. Not sure the location of the shot.

Also hearing that ash has actually fallen in several areas within a few kilometers of the volcano.




Here are a few pictures. This is a full 80 or 90 km from the airport.





From what I read and see there is no prior cystic flow or lava.


Airline Cancellations:

I did read last night several Australian and perhaps others  airlines had canceled flights to Bali.

After viewing the direction of the clouds  I asked myself why they would do that when the cloud is flowing in direct opposition to the Airport over 60 KM away to the S/W.

I can tell you right now at this very moment there is no  reason for any airline to cancel flights to Bali as the volcanic ash is at least 50 km away. 



And even if they can't take their normal route which would not even be close to the volcano they can alternate the route slightly by 10 or 20 km and totally avoid any volcanic ash.





After a great walk  back down the beach watching all the locals bring their children for a morning stroll  it's obvious nobody's worried about a volcano and neither should you.

In fact if it wasn't for my children's studying for midterm exams tomorrow 
I would've taken my car and driven another 20 or 30 km up towards the volcano to try to get some stunning photos. 

In fact I may still do it. 

Stay tuned for further updates.






No comments:

Post a Comment