Thursday, November 16, 2017

Artist Ashby shares Bali experience

Through My Eyesexhibition by Jenny Ashby at the Northern Centre for Contemporary Art.
ENTERTAINMENT
Ashby shares Bali experience
Chelsea Heaney, NT NewsNovember 2, 2017 10:00am
A SOLO exhibition of selected works by Jenny Ashby, curated by Rita Macarounas, is opening at the Northern Centre for Contemporary Art this Friday from 6pm.

Through My Eyes details Ms Ashby’s experiences living, working and travelling in Bali for the past seven years with her Indonesian husband’s family.

Ms Ashby said her drawings were a direct response to the reality of everyday life in Indonesia.

“My sketchbook was my learning, understanding and responding to reality,” she said.

“The hardships of people who are behind the scenes of the prosperous tourist industry, the people who live on menial wages to provide the services and needs for the tourist industry to exist, yet are not acknowledged.”

Her work also touches on issues that she found hard to speak about as a foreigner, such as the mass slaughter of local dogs due to numerous cases of the rabies virus.

“My drawings were my way of getting out my anger, sadness and frustration, a way of personally saying what I felt without words, especially after the government warned the public not to intervene or protest the mass killings,” she said.

This series of paintings are ink and water colour wash on paper. This is Ms Ashby’s first exhibition in Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment